Wednesday, January 24, 2007

When Constituients Don't Agree

It is easy, or at least not a problem, to cast a vote on a bill when the people you represent agree on the issue. When constituents line up on different sides a dilemma occurs. Unless you are a member of a committee that hears the debate on a bill, one must do their own research. This fact finding includes listening to opinions on both sides, weighing the pros and cons,tallying the yes and no's from those you represent and finally casting a vote. The yes or no vote will make some people happy and others wondering if you aren't listening to them. I make every effort to respond to everyone who contacts me. I also feel it is important to explain why I made the decision I did. It is not unusual to disagree, but I try very hard not to be disagreeable. I am also well aware that I do not have all the answers and, as much as I would like to be, I am not always correct. Although this is my sixth session I find that I learn something new everyday. It is important to hear from the people we represent. Even if we don't agree we can continue to grow.